What is a CSA? (Copied from localhavest.org)
Over the last 20 years, Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) has become a popular way for consumers to buy local, seasonal food directly from a farmer. Here are the basics: a farmer offers a certain number of “shares” to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but other farm products may be included. Interested consumers purchase a share (aka a “membership” or a “subscription”) and in return receive a box (bag, basket) of seasonal produce each week throughout the farming season. This arrangement creates several rewards for both the farmer and the consumer. In brief…
Advantages for farmers:
- Get to spend time planning and marketing the food early in the year, before the long days begin.
- Receive payment early in the season, which helps with the farm’s cash flow so that we can focus on growing food!
- Have an opportunity to get to know the people who eat the food they grow! (My favorite)
Advantages for consumers:
- Eat ultra-fresh food, with all the flavor and vitamin benefits
- Get exposed to new vegetables and new ways of cooking (we give you recipes)
- Visit the farm at least once a season bring the kids when you get your veggies – they get a taste of the farm
- Find that kids typically favor food from “their” farm – even veggies they’ve never been known to eat
- Develop a relationship with the farmer who grows their food and learn more about how food is grown
Common Questions and Answers about our CSA Program.
HOW LONG IS THE SEASON?
The Mason Jar Farm is offering produce subscriptions for our 4th year. We follow organic and sustainable practices in the growing of our produce. The 2017 season is 26 weeks, May 5th to October 28th.
WHAT SIZE SHARE SHOULD I GET?
WHERE IS THE PICK UP LOCATION?
Feel free to call (360) 625-8071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with additional questions.
Share Prices and Payment Options
Standard ShareWeekly Share
- Standard weekly share is $830 which can be paid in two installments. If the first payment is made by April 1st, then a 5% discount applies. ($788.00 with discount if paid in full or $394.25 for first payment with discount, 2nd payment due by August 1st, 2017 )
Weekly Pay Option:
- This option allows you to pay as you go.
- You will pay at time of pick up. – A $50.00 non-refundable deposit is required and payment is $35 per pick up. This option is available ONLY for our Standard size share. Pick up for each week must be confirmed via email by the Wednesday of each week.
Standard ShareBi-Weekly Share
- Standard share bi-weekly: $425.00. If payment in full is made by April 1st then a 5% discount applies for a total due of $403.75
Mid Size ShareWeekly - ONLY - Share
- Mid-Size share (weekly only): $580.00. If payment in full is made by April 1st, then a 5% discount applies and the total due is $551.00.
Egg Farm SharesWeekly or Bi-weekly
- Egg Farm Shares – Only
- Request a Farm Share Egg application for Weekly or Bi-weekly Egg Farm Shares. – This is in addition to weekly or bi-weekly CSA Shares.
- Pick up at the farm to guarantee your eggs are fresh. Hours are 7 days a week during daylight hours to 8 p.m.
- Eggs are $5.00/dz. Pick up during our Open Farm Fridays or add an egg share to your farm share. (There is no discount of 5% on egg shares.)
~Weekly Recipes Included~
~Standard Shares will also sometimes include BONUS ITEMS such as our “Pesto kit” –enough fresh basil and garlic to make a “batch” of pesto. You add olive oil and, if desired, nuts and/or cheese~
Payment Options: Payment can be made in cash or by check made out to The Mason Jar Farm. Cash and check payments receive a 1.5% discount. Credit Cards and PayPal are accepted.
Just some of the food we have planned to grow:
Leaf, semi-head and head lettuces • Pea shoots • Red Russian kale •Spinach • Radicchio • Mâche • Mustard greens • Belgian endive •Nasturtiums • Turnip greens • Purslane • Cabbage • Beet greens • Pea tendrils
Mustard greens • Kale • Collard greens • Broccoli raab • Braising mix • Spinach • Beet greens • Turnip greens • Swiss chard • Cabbage
Green onions • Leeks • Chives • Green Garlic • Sweet red and white onions • Yellow storage onions • Garlic scapes
Radishes • Beets • Carrots • Turnips • Potatoes
Asian Pears • Apples • Broccoli • Cauliflower • Brussels sprouts • Snow peas • Sugar snap peas • Fennel • Winter squashes • Pumpkins •
Tomatoes • Sweet peppers • Hot peppers • Eggplant •Summer squashes • Cucumbers • Green beans
Chocolate Tangerine Mint • Sorrel • Chervil • Parsley • Basil • Dill • Sage • Chives • Marjoram • Rosemary
The Mason Jar Farm is offering produce subscriptions for our 4th season. We follow organic and sustainable practices in the growing of our produce. The 2017 season is 26 weeks, beginning with the 6 May through the last pick up 28 October. More detail is provided in our CSA Contract which is available here. CSA FORM -2017
Please email Jenni – Plateaugirl@live.com for additional information